About Sausage Peppers and Onions
Gallery Of Sausage Peppers and Onions
- 1 lb Italian sausage links (mild or spicy, based on your preference)
- 2 large bell peppers (any color), sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, adjust to your spice level)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sub rolls or hoagie rolls, for serving
- Optional toppings: shredded mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions for Sausage Peppers and Onions Crock Pot
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the Italian sausage links on all sides. You don’t need to cook them through; just sear the outsides to add flavor. Once done, transfer the sausages to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add sliced onions and bell peppers. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes until they start to soften. Add minced garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Place the seared sausages, sautéed onions, and peppers in the crock-pot or slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix together the diced tomatoes (with their juices), tomato paste, dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, red pepper flakes (if using), salt, and pepper. Pour this tomato mixture over the sausages and vegetables in the crock-pot.
- Give everything a gentle stir to ensure the sausages and vegetables are coated with the tomato mixture.
- Cover the crock-pot with its lid and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours. The sausages should be cooked through, and the peppers and onions should be tender.
Serving Sausage Peppers and Onions
Once the cooking time is complete, you can serve the sausage peppers and onions in sub rolls or hoagie rolls. Optionally, you can top them with shredded mozzarella cheese or grated Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
Enjoy your Sausage Peppers and Onions straight from the Crock Pot! This dish is perfect for a satisfying and hassle free meal.
Tips and Tricks to Make The Sausage Peppers and Onions Crock Pot recipe
Searing the Sausages: Before adding the sausages to the Crock Pot, sear them in a hot skillet first. This step adds extra flavor and helps the sausages maintain their shape during the slow cooking process.
Choosing the Sausages: You can use any type of Italian sausages mild spicy beef chicken or turkey based on your preference. Experiment with different flavors to find your favorite combination.
Slice the Peppers and Onions Evenly: To ensure even cooking, try to slice the bell peppers and onions into uniform pieces. This helps them cook evenly and achieve a consistent texture.
Adjust the Spice Level: If you prefer a spicier dish, add extra red pepper flakes or use spicy Italian sausages. For a milder version, reduce or omit the red pepper flakes altogether.
Use Tomato Paste: Tomato paste adds depth and richness to the sauce. It also helps to thicken the liquid during the slow cooking process.
Cooking Time: Cooking times may vary depending on your Crock Pot, so it’s essential to monitor the dish. Cooking on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours is usually sufficient, but adjust as needed.
Don’t Overcook the Vegetables: To maintain the peppers and onions’ texture, avoid overcooking them. They should be tender but still slightly crisp when done.
Customize with Herbs: Feel free to add fresh herbs like basil or parsley at the end for an extra burst of freshness and flavor.
Serving Suggestions: While serving in sub rolls is traditional, you can enjoy this dish in various ways. Serve over rice, pasta, or even with mashed potatoes for a different twist.
Meal Prep and Leftovers: This dish reheats beautifully, making it ideal for meal prepping. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days or freeze for longer storage.
With these tips and tricks your Sausage Peppers and Onions Crock Pot recipe will turn out wonderfully flavorful and satisfying. Enjoy this easy and comforting dish Sausage Peppers and Onions with your loved ones!
Here’s a rough estimate of the nutrition facts for a serving of Sausage Peppers and Onions. Keep in mind that these values can vary depending on the specific ingredients and portion sizes used in your recipe
Nutrition Facts for One Serving (approximately 1/4 of the recipe)
- Calories:Approximately 250-300 calories
- Total Fat:About 18-22 grams
- Saturated Fat:Approximately 6-8 grams
- Cholesterol:About 40-60 milligrams (can vary based on sausage type)
- Sodium:Approximately 500-700 milligrams (can vary based on sausage and seasoning)
- Total Carbohydrates:Around 5-10 grams
- Dietary Fiber:About 1-2 grams
- Sugars:Approximately 2-4 grams (mainly from vegetables)
- Protein:About 12-15 grams
(FAQ) for Sausage Peppers and Onions
What ingredients do I need to make Sausage Peppers and Onions?
You’ll need Italian sausages, bell peppers (preferably a mix of colors), onions, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and optionally, herbs like oregano or basil.
Can I use any type of sausage for this dish?
While traditional Italian sausages work best, you can experiment with other types like chicken or turkey sausages for a lighter version.
How do I cook the sausages?
You can grill, pan-fry, or bake the sausages. Cooking times vary, but make sure they reach an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the ingredients in advance and cook them when needed. The flavors often meld well when reheated.
Can I freeze Sausage, Peppers, and Onions?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked dish. Store it in airtight containers for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
What serving suggestions do you recommend?
Serve it over pasta, in a sub/hoagie roll, or with crusty bread. It’s also great on its own as a hearty main course.
How do I prevent the peppers and onions from becoming too mushy?
Cook them until they are just tender-crisp. Overcooking can result in a mushy texture. Add them to the pan after the sausages have cooked for a bit.
Can I make it spicier?
Absolutely! Add red pepper flakes or spicy Italian sausages for some heat. Adjust according to your spice preference.
What’s the best type of onion to use?
Yellow onions work well, but you can also use sweet onions for a milder flavor.
Can I customize the herbs and spices?
Yes, feel free to experiment with herbs like thyme, rosemary, or even a pinch of fennel seeds for additional flavor.
Remember, cooking times may vary, so keep an eye on the sausages and vegetables to achieve your desired level of doneness. Enjoy your Sausage, Peppers, and Onions!