Ingredients Italian Beef Sandwich
To create this savory masterpiece, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 3 pounds of beef chuck roast
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 Italian rolls or crusty bread rolls
- Optional: sliced provolone cheese giardiniera or pickled peppers for garnish
Directions Italian Beef Sandwich
2/ Cook on low heat for 1 to 1:30 min on high heat for 30 minutes until the beef is tender and easily shreds.
3/ Once cooked, remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred it using two forks. Set the beef aside.
4/ Strain the cooking liquid from the slow cooker and reserve it for dipping the sandwiches.
5/ Split the Italian rolls or crusty bread rolls and if desired, lightly toast them.
6/ Pile the shredded beef onto the rolls and if desired, top with sliced provolone cheese giardiniera or pickled peppers.
Serve the sandwiches with a side of the reserved cooking liquid for dipping.
How to Prepare Italian Beef Sandwich
1/ Gather all the required ingredients and kitchen utensils.
2/ Follow the directions above to prepare the Italian beef in a slow cooker.
3/ Shred the beef and set it aside.
4/ Strain and reserve the cooking liquid.
5/ Split and lightly toast the Italian rolls or crusty bread rolls.
6/ Assemble the sandwiches by piling the shredded beef onto the rolls.
7/ Add any desired toppings such as sliced provolone cheese, giardiniera, or pickled peppers.
8/ Serve the sandwiches alongside the reserved cooking liquid for dipping.
9/ Enjoy the mouthwatering flavors of your homemade Italian beef sandwiches!
Preparation Time Italian Beef Sandwich
The preparation time for this Italian beef sandwich recipe is approximately 10 minutes. However, keep in mind that the beef will need to cook slowly for 1 to 1:30 hours on low heat 30 minutes to 1 hours on high heat in the slow cooker. This allows the beef to become tender and infused with the delicious flavors of the spices. So while the active preparation time is short, make sure to plan ahead for the slow cooking process.
Servings Italian Beef Sandwich
This recipe yields approximately 4 to 6 Italian beef sandwiches, depending on the size of the rolls and the amount of beef used. Adjust the quantities accordingly based on the number of servings you require.
Craving a classic Italian Beef Sandwich? Look no further! This mouthwatering sandwich is packed with tender flavorful shredded beef and it comes with a side of au jus for dipping.
Tricks and Tips to Enhance Italian Beef Sandwich
Slow Cook or Braise the Beef: To achieve a tender and juicy texture, slow cook or braise the beef. You can use a slow cooker, oven, or stovetop to cook the beef at a low temperature for an extended period. This allows the beef to become tender and easily shredable.
Add Italian Seasonings: While cooking the beef add additional Italian seasonings like oregano basil thyme and rosemary to enhance the Italian flavor profile. These herbs will complement the other ingredients in the sandwich.
Reserve the Cooking Liquid: After cooking the beef, save the cooking liquid. This flavorful liquid can be used for dipping the sandwich or as a base for a delicious au jus sauce.
Slice the Beef Thinly: Once the beef is cooked and tender, slice it thinly against the grain. Thinly sliced beef ensures a more enjoyable eating experience and allows the flavors to distribute evenly throughout the sandwich.
Toast the Bread: For added texture and flavor lightly toast the bread rolls or Italian style bread before assembling the sandwich. Toasting the bread will help it hold up better to the juicy beef and other ingredients.
Add Giardiniera or Peppers: To give your Italian beef sandwich a spicy and tangy kick, add giardiniera (a pickled vegetable relish) or sautéed bell peppers. These ingredients provide a burst of flavor and add a delightful crunch to the sandwich.
Melted Cheese: If desired, melt some provolone or mozzarella cheese on top of the beef and bread before assembling the sandwich. The melted cheese adds a gooey and indulgent element to the dish.
Dip in Au Jus: Serve the Italian beef sandwich with a side of au jus for dipping. The reserved cooking liquid or a separate au jus sauce can be used for this purpose. Dipping the sandwich in the savory au jus enhances the flavors and adds moisture.
Garnish the sandwich with fresh basil leaves, if desired, for added freshness and aroma. Serve the Italian beef sandwich with a side of crispy fries or a simple green salad for a complete meal. Enjoy the delicious and flavorful Italian inspired creation!
Here are the approximate nutrition facts for a typical Italian Beef Sandwich.
- Serving Size: 1 Italian Beef Sandwich (approximately 6-8 ounces)
- Calories: Approximately 400-600 calories per serving (varies based on ingredients and size)
- Protein: Approximately 20-25 grams per serving (varies based on the amount of beef)
- Total Fat: Approximately 15-25 grams per serving (varies based on ingredients and preparation)
- Saturated Fat: Approximately 5-10 grams per serving (varies based on ingredients)
- Cholesterol: Approximately 30-70 milligrams per serving (varies based on the amount of beef)
- Carbohydrates: Approximately 40-60 grams per serving (varies based on the bread and toppings)
- Dietary Fiber: Approximately 2-4 grams per serving (mainly from the bread and vegetables)
- Sugars: Approximately 2-4 grams per serving (mainly from natural sugars in bread and vegetables)
- Sodium: Approximately 1000-1500 milligrams per serving (varies based on the beef broth and seasoning)
- Vitamins and Minerals: Italian Beef Sandwiches may provide small amounts of various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron, but the exact amounts can vary depending on the recipe and serving size.
Remember nutrition facts are approximate and can vary significantly depending on the specific recipe, the type of bread used, the amount of beef, and any additional toppings or condiments. It’s essential to check the nutrition label or consult with the chef or restaurant for precise information, especially if you have specific dietary requirements or restrictions.