Delicious Chicken Shawarma |A Taste of Middle Eastern Flavors
Ingredients Chicken Shawarma
For the Marinade Chicken Shawarma
- 1.5 lbs (700g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to your spice preference
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Serving Chicken Shawarma
- Pita bread or flatbreads
- Chopped lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced cucumbers
- Sliced red onions
- Tahini sauce or garlic sauce (optional)
Instructions for Chicken Shawarma
- In a bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients: yogurt, olive oil, minced garlic, ground cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add the thinly sliced chicken to the marinade and mix well, ensuring each piece is coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 to 2 hours, or preferably overnight for maximum flavor.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat your grill or stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. You can also use a regular frying pan if you don’t have a grill.
- Thread the marinated chicken slices onto skewers if you’re using a grill, or you can directly cook them in the grill pan or frying pan.
- Cook the chicken for about 5-7 minutes per side or until it’s fully cooked and has a nice char on the outside. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken slices.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes before assembling your shawarma.
- To serve, warm the pita bread or flatbreads briefly. Add the cooked chicken to the center of the bread, then top with chopped lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and pickles.
- Drizzle some tahini sauce or garlic sauce over the fillings if desired.
- Roll up the pita bread or fold the flatbread like a wrap, and your delicious homemade chicken shawarma is ready to enjoy!
Feel free to customize the toppings and sauces according to your taste preferences. Enjoy your flavorful chicken shawarma!
Tips and Tricks to Make a Delicious Chicken Shawarma
- Marinate for Flavors: Allow the chicken to marinate in the spice mixture for at least 1 to 2 hours, or preferably overnight. This ensures the flavors penetrate the meat thoroughly.
- Use Chicken Thighs: Chicken thighs are more tender and flavorful than chicken breasts, making them a better choice for Chicken Shawarma.
- Thin Slices: Slice the chicken into thin pieces for even and quick cooking. Thinner slices also absorb more marinade, enhancing the taste.
- Use a Grill or Grill Pan: Grilling the marinated chicken on a grill or grill pan adds a smoky flavor and creates the delicious charred edges typical of Shawarma.
- Don’t Overcook: Cook the chicken until it’s just done to avoid dryness. Overcooked chicken can become tough and lose its juiciness.
- Rest Before Slicing: Let the cooked chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing it. This helps retain the juices, resulting in tender meat.
- Toast the Pita Bread: Warm or lightly toast the pita bread before assembling the Shawarma for a better texture and flavor.
- Choose Fresh Toppings: Use fresh and crisp vegetables like lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions to add a refreshing contrast to the flavorful chicken.
- Tahini or Garlic Sauce: Drizzle tahini sauce or garlic sauce over the chicken and toppings for an authentic Middle Eastern touch. These sauces complement the Shawarma perfectly.
- Wrap it Up Tightly: When assembling the Shawarma, wrap the filled pita bread tightly in foil or parchment paper. This keeps everything in place and makes it easier to eat.
- Serve with Pickles: Accompany your Shawarma with some pickles, such as pickled cucumbers or turnips, for an extra burst of tangy flavor.
- Experiment with Additions: Feel free to add other condiments like hummus, yogurt sauce, or hot sauce to personalize your Shawarma.
- Prep in Advance: You can marinate the chicken ahead of time, so it’s ready to grill whenever you want to prepare the Shawarma.
- Pair with Side Dishes: Serve Chicken Shawarma with traditional Middle Eastern sides like tabbouleh, fattoush salad, or baba ganoush for a complete meal.
- Enjoy Fresh: Chicken Shawarma tastes best when freshly made. Try to assemble and serve it immediately for the most enjoyable experience.
With these tips and tricks, you’re well on your way to making a mouthwatering Chicken Shawarma that will delight your taste buds!
The nutrition facts for chicken shawarma can vary depending on factors such as the recipe, portion size, and any additional toppings or sauces. Here’s a general estimate of the nutrition content for a typical serving of chicken shawarma, which includes the chicken and the pita bread.
Serving Size: 1 chicken shawarma sandwich (approximately 200-250 grams)
Calories Chicken Shawarma
- Calories per serving: Approximately 400-550 calories
- Protein: Approximately 20-30 grams
- Carbohydrates: Approximately 40-50 grams
- Dietary Fiber: Approximately 3-5 grams
- Sugars: Approximately 2-4 grams
- Fat: Approximately 15-20 grams
- Saturated Fat: Approximately 3-5 grams
Vitamins and Minerals
- Sodium: Approximately 800-1,200 milligrams (varies based on seasoning and sauces)
- Potassium: Approximately 300-400 milligrams
- Calcium: Approximately 50-100 milligrams
- Iron: Approximately 2-4 milligrams
Please keep in mind that these values are approximate and can vary based on several factors, including the specific ingredients in the chicken marinade, the type of sauce used, and any additional toppings like vegetables or tahini sauce. Additionally, the cooking method (grilling or roasting) can impact the overall nutrition content.
If you have a specific chicken shawarma recipe or product in mind, it’s best to refer to the nutrition label or consult a registered dietitian for more precise information based on the exact ingredients and portion sizes used.