Ingredients for Apple Pie Recipe
For the Pie Crust apple pie recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
For the Apple Filling
- 6-7 medium-sized apples (a mix of tart and sweet varieties like Granny Smith and Honeycrisp)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar for Apple Pie Recipe
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar for Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves is optional
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into small pieces
Instructions for apple pie recipe
For the Pie Crust
1/ Take a large mixing bowl add flour sugar and salt. Add some cold butter cubes and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2/ Add the ice water and mix gently with a something until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
3/ Divide the dough into two equal portions shape each into a disc and wrap them separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
For the Apple Filling
1/ Peel core and thinly slice the apples. Place in a large mixing bowl.
3/ Sprinkle the flour over the apple mixture and toss again to evenly distribute the flour.
Assembling the Apple Pie Recipe
1/ Preheat your oven to 375°.
2/ Roll out one disc of the chilled pie crust on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9 inch pie dish. Carefully transfer the crust to the pie dish and press it gently to fit the bottom and sides.
3/ Pour the apple filling into the pie crust, spreading it evenly. Dot the top with small pieces of unsalted butter.
4/ Roll out the second disc of chilled pie crust and place it over the apple filling. Trim the excess dough and crimp the edges of the crust together to seal.
5/ Cut a few slits on the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
6/ Optional: Brush the top crust with milk or beaten egg and sprinkle some granulated sugar for a golden and glossy finish.
7/ Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 45-55 minutes or until the crust is become golden brown and the apple filling is bubbling.
8/ Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a rack for at least 2 hours.
Serving Apple Pie Recipe
Enjoy your delicious and comforting homemade Apple Pie Recipe! Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the ultimate treat.
Tips and Tricks to Make the Perfect Apple Pie Recipe
Apple Selection: Choose a mix of tart and sweet apples for a well balanced flavor. Popular choices include Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Fuji apples.
Slicing Consistency: Try to slice the apples uniformly to ensure even cooking and a consistent texture in the filling.
Prevent Browning: To prevent the apple slices from browning toss them with lemon juice immediately after slicing.
Spice It Up: Customize the spice blend to your taste. Use cinnamon and nutmeg you can add a pinch of cloves or a hint of ginger for extra depth.
Adjust Sugar: The sweetness of the filling can vary depending on the apples used. Taste the apple mixture and adjust the sugar accordingly.
Precook Apples: For a softer filling, precook the apple slices in a saucepan with a little butter and sugar until slightly tender before assembling the pie.
Layer Butter: For an added richness and flavor, layer thin slices of butter between the apple slices before adding the top crust.
Egg Wash for Shine: For a glossy golden crust, brush the top crust with an egg wash (a beaten egg mixed with a little water or milk) before baking.
Protect the Crust: To prevent the edges of the pie crust from burning, cover them with aluminum foil or a pie shield during baking.
Baking Temperature: Bake the pie in a oven at 375°F for about 45-55 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
Resting Time: Allow the pie to cool and set for at least 2 hours before slicing. This helps the filling to firm up and makes serving easier.
Serve with Ice Cream: For an extra special treat, serve the warm apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
With these tips your apple pie recipe will turn out beautifully, with a flaky crust and a delectable apple filling that’s bursting with comforting flavors. Enjoy this classic dessert and savor every delightful bite
The nutrition facts for an apple pie can vary based on the specific recipe and serving size. Below is a general breakdown of the nutrition facts for a typical slice (1/8th of a 9-inch pie) of homemade apple pie:
Serving Size:1 slice (1/8th of a 9-inch pie)
Calories:Approximately 250-350 calories per slice.
Nutrition Facts About Apple Pie
- Total Fat:Approximately 10-15 grams
- Saturated Fat:About 3-5 grams
- Cholesterol:Around 0-30 milligrams (depends on recipe)
- Sodium:Approximately 150-250 milligrams
- Total Carbohydrates:Approximately 40-50 grams
- Dietary Fiber:About 2-4 grams
- Sugars:Around 20-30 grams (mainly from apples and added sugars)
- Protein:Approximately 1-3 grams
Vitamins and Minerals
- Apple pie can provide some essential nutrients, particularly if made with fresh apples. Apples are a good source of vitamin C and dietary fiber.
- The nutritional content may vary depending on the type of crust used (e.g., traditional pie crust graham cracker crust) and the type and amount of added sugars and spices.
- The nutrition facts can vary based on the specific recipe especially the ingredients and preparation methods used.
- The use of added sugars such as granulated sugar or brown sugar, can significantly impact the total sugar content.
- Some recipes may include butter or margarine in the pie crust or filling which can contribute to the fat content.
- Toppings like whipped cream or ice cream if served with the pie will add additional calories and fat.
If you’re concerned about the nutritional content of your homemade apple pie, it’s advisable to calculate it based on the specific ingredients and serving size you use. Consider making modifications to reduce the use of added sugars or choosing healthier pie crust options to adjust the nutritional profile of your Apple pie.